Do you ever have a hard time adding vegetables to your diet? Do you find yourself eating carbs for every meal? Well the solution to both of these problems is spaghetti squash. This delicious squash is so easy to cook and it looks just like spaghetti. Some more good news is that squash is in season right now! I enjoy eating the golden yellow strands of squash with Marcella Hazan’s marinara sauce, but you can also just pop open a can of Prego and it will taste just fine. NOTE: I originally found the marinara sauce recipe on Steamy Kitchen.
In order to construct this culinary delight, you will need one 4-5 pound spaghetti squash, a yellow onion, a stick of butter, and a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes.
To cook the squash, cut it in half lengthwise with a really sharp knife and scrape out the seeds and pulp with a spoon. Pour in enough water that it just barely covers the bottom of a shallow microwaveable dish and place the squash in cut-side down. Pierce the skin of the squash a few times with a fork. Microwave the squash for 6-7 minutes or until the squash meat has some give. Repeat with the other half.
Next, use a fork to scrape out the meat of the squash into a bowl. The meat should separate into spaghetti-like strands.
Now you can stop right now, and pop open a can of your favorite spaghetti sauce and life would be AWESOME…or you could make your own sauce and make you life even MORE AWESOME!
For the Marinara sauce you will need to put the crushed tomatoes into a small pot. Cut the onion in half and put it in the pot along with the butter. Cover, and let the whole thing simmer for 45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes.
Once the sauce is done pour some over your “spaghetti” and enjoy!
NOTE: While you can discard the onion after you make the sauce, I love to eat the onion or chop it up into chunks and mix it into the marinara.
- 4-6 lb spaghetti squash
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 yellow onion
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and pulp.
- Fill a microwaveable dish with a thin layer of water
- Place the squash cut-side down in the pan.
- Microwave the squash for 6-7 minutes or until the meat has a slight give.
- Pour the can of tomato sauce into a small pot.
- Cut the onion in half and place it into the pot along with the stick of butter
- Simmer the ingredients for 45 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the “spaghetti” and enjoy
Good luck and bon apétit!